Thursday, October 6, 2011

Isaiah got it, why can't we?

I read a passage the other day that pricked me a different way.
We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.
That is the New Living Translation of Isaiah 64:6.

That means even the best things I could possible drum up for God is still throw away garbage.  So if our best is that, why do we think our worst is so much . . . worse?  There are not that many lower rungs than filthy rags.  I guess they just get filthier.

Sometimes in the public eye, there is a person who we thought should have it all together, that fails.  Then they fall and we start casting stones at them.  We are shocked at their sins.  We can't believe we supported them, or purchased their movie or record or book.  Are we really that surprised that they sinned?

Am I surprised when I sin?  It is no surprise to me that I am infected and impure.  The very best I can do is present my disgusting filth to God and ask Him to make it 'white as snow'. (Isaiah 1:18)  God knows all our junk. He loves us anyway.  So when we are presented with someone else's junk - we should offer the same.  After all, our mothers taught us this when we were kids:
"In everything, therefore, treat people the same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets."  Matthew 7:12
What made me think of all this?
You guessed it . . . a song.  There is a song that plays on the radio and the words have touched my heart, but so has the story behind the man who wrote it.

The song - Everything Falls.  The songwriter - Steve Fee and Eddie Kirkland.

Here are the lyrics:

You said
You'd never leave or forsake me
When you said
This life is gonna shake me
You said
This world is gonna bring trouble on my soul
This I know

When everything falls apart
Your arms hold me together
When everything falls apart
You´re the only hope for this heart
When everything falls apart
And my strength is gone
I find you mighty and strong
You keep holding on
You keep holding on

When I see
The darkness all around me
When I see
The tragedy has found me
I still believe
Your faithful arms will never let me go
And still I know

When everything falls apart
Your arms hold me together
When everything falls apart
You're the only hope for this heart
When everything falls apart
And my strength is gone

I find you mighty and strong
You keep holding on
You keep holding on

Sorrow may last for the night
But hope is rising with the sun
Its rising with the sun
There will be storms in this life
But I know You will overcome

When everything falls apart
Your arms hold me together
When everything falls apart
You´re the only hope for this heart
When everything falls apart
And my strength is gone
I find You mighty and strong
You keep holding on

When everything falls apart
Your arms hold me together
When everything falls apart
You´re the only hope for this heart
When everything falls apart
And my strength is gone
I find You mighty and strong
You keep holding on
You keep holding on 



There is a video of the song here.


Here is the catch - the band (from what I can understand) is no longer making music together.  They stopped performing and recording in the Spring of 2010.  Why?  Because everything fell apart.

There are many sites on the internet that have posted about an extra-marital affair that caused the band to break up.  The saddest part about that is the comments people have been leaving. Instead of recognizing in him the same filth that can be seen in ourselves, 'Christian' folks lashed out in anger.

My hope is that this man and his family are finding the Grace of God to be all-sufficient and that God is still holding on to them in a very real and tangible way.  And I pray for the body of Christ to be exactly what God intended them to be . . . supportive, encouraging and redeeming.

Ephesians 2:9 New Living Translation
"Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."
Romans 3:23
"For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God's glorious standard.

Praise be to the God who forgives my sins, holds me in His strong and mighty arms and restores my soul. I feel hope is rising.  Amen



1 comment: