Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Don't swerve or you'll miss it!

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we possess for He who promised is faithful. Hebrews 10:23
Unswervingly - what a strange word to find in my bible.  I can just imagine the writer writing a word then crossing it out, then trying another.  Then once again he crosses he out.  Finally he stands up from his table or desk and walks across the room to his book shelf where he pulls off his trusty Thesaurus.  He blows on it to release it from its blanket of dust and then skims through it to the right page.

without wavering; remain steady; not deviating; unswervingly

'That's the word I want.  It is important my readers to not get the wrong image.  God wants them to know His faithfulness is sooo strong that they will not even feel the slightest shimmy from the path if they trust Him completely.'  Unswervingly.

Does that describe your faith?  Does that word describe anything about you?  I am afraid it doesn't describe me or my faith most days.  I waver.  I deviate.  And I definitely swerve.

"You can make this choice by loving the LORD your God, obeying him, and committing yourself unswervingly to him. This is the key to your life. And if you love and obey the LORD, you will live long in the land the LORD swore to give your ancestors Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."  Deut 30:20
"For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold unswervingly to my covenant--to them I will give within my temple and its walls a memorial and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that will not be cut off."   Isaiah 56:4,5
"By this gospel you are saved, if you hold unswervingly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain." 1 Cor 15:2
"For if we are faithful to the end, trusting God just as unswervingly as when we first believed, we will share in all that belongs to Christ."  Heb 3:14 
There are so many more accounts in the bible -
that even though the writers didn't all use their thesaurus' the same way - their meaning is understood.  Most of the scriptures that refer to 'holding fast' contain a blessing or a promise.  He has great things in store for those who hold/cling/grip/attach themselves to Him. God is so good and so faithful and so capable that we should be able to hold on without wavering; stand firmly without deviating; and cling closely without swerving.

One last scripture that is my prayer for today.
      
      Keep me from deceitful ways;
be gracious to me through your law.
I have chosen the way of truth;
I have set my heart on your laws.
I hold fast to your statutes, O LORD;
do not let me be put to shame.
I run in the path of your commands,
for you have set my heart free.

Go into your day today committed unswervingly to Him and his chosen path for you.  Allow him to lead, choose your turns and your directions and where all you have to do is hold on!  (This is the lesson God is teaching me as I write out the current story of Dana, my latest character.  Stay tuned for more on my latest work, Hold on Tight.)

1 comment: