If you are not familiar with that name, let me introduce you to one of my absolute favourite Christian artists. This is a radio hit you might recognize.
- born to a pastor family, Camp was raised in the church in Indiana
- his father taught him to play guitar and he soon discovered he had a love for music
- in 2000 after attending Bible school in California, Camp released a self made album titled Burden Me
- he is an ordained minister and worked as a pastor until his music career took off
- at a performance he met a young woman named Melissa and started a friendship that turned into a romance
- Melissa ended the relationship after a few months which was hard on Jeremy
- Melissa discovered she had ovarian cancer
- Melissa went into remission and the two married
- "Walk by Faith" was written while on his honeymoon - only days before discovering her cancer was back
- Melissa passed away in less than five months - she was 21 and he was 23
Watching Melissa go to Heaven made me realize what’s important. Music is not my life. Christ is my life. The only thing that really matters is what we do for Jesus on this Earth, and as a result of what I’ve been through, I express even more the goodness of God and how faithful He is. (Read full bio)
Following her passing, Jeremy wrote the song, "I Still Believe". Which once a chart topping song, is now the title to his first book. Check it out on his website or read the first chapter. Jeremy has been through the fire and still stands poised in worship. I know I can learn a lot from him.
Jeremy took his faith and his wife's dying wish for souls to be saved and hit the road making music.
He was signed by BEC records and released the album Stay in 2002. Five of those songs hit the charts. Camp went on tour and eventually met Adrienne Leisching. The two fell in love and were married the next year. They now have two daughters and one son.
Jeremy continues to sing out praises to God with his deep, God-gifted voice. With seven+ albums under his belt, numerous Dove Awards, and many more number one hits there seems to be no end to his ministry.
I have been a fan for several years now and am looking forward to Friday when I get to see him perform live. Here is another clip for your enjoyment.
Stay tuned! I have a contest with a give-away coming up. Be sure to check out all the Jeremy Camp posts through to the end of January.