Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Gifts don't always come wrapped in bows

Wow... did I ever stumble onto something awe-inspiring today. It is so cool I had to change my day plans so I could share it with you.  However, it is also multifaceted that you may want to make yourself a coffee or tea and settle in for a few minutes.

First, let me try to whet your appetite. It is about raising boys, watching movies, making a difference and of course ... spreading the Good News of Jesus!

Where to begin?

Recently I reviewed a book titled Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson.  I enjoyed the authors with their authenticity and their grace-filled words for the 'Mom who needs to breathe" so much that I followed each of them on the web. That brings me to today.

Sally Clarkson. (Blog: I Take Joy)

Sometimes I feel desperate. I know I shouldn't but I do. Desperate for my kids - for them to "turn out okay". What if I'm doing it right, but not enough? Or too much? Or worse ... what if I'm doing it all wrong?

To be completely honest I stress more about my son than I do my daughters. Sometimes I fear so much about what will become of him. Not that he is a bad kid or making bad choices or doing things that will harm himself, but he does things in a way I don't understand. I DON'T GET HIM.

I asked a friend one day at a coffee visit, whose kids are grown and out of the house, "do you still see in their adult lives the little things you worried about when they were teens?"
What I meant was, are the things I am fretting about today going to disappear because of a phase in their lives or will they come to pass?

She couldn't possibly answer what my heart desperately wanted to hear, but she said (summarized by me) what I think God wanted to whisper to my heart.
'Some things go and some things stay but it has been a blessing to watch what God is doing in and through those areas.'
Today, let me introduce to you Sally's son Nathan. He was an out of the box kinda kid - (her own words). Now, he is a young adult and has a dream and a passion for film and for God. I don't know for certain that Sally fretted over her son like I am but I am sure her  mother's heart must have struggled a little along the way.

Her first post about her son's dreams can be read here, titled Believe and Support Your Children's Dreams. Her son is looking for supporters for a movie he wrote following the bible story, The Prodigal Son.  Check out his trailer below.



Now many of you know I have a heart for films that honor God and that I can share with my family without gripping the remote's fast forward button. Here is a chance to become involved in a movie before it even gets the green light in Hollywood.

Check out Kickstarter - a web page aimed at raising $10,000 to start the project of making this film. Apparently there is interest in Hollywood but Nathan has to prove (by $$) that there is a market and audience for this.  Check it out!  You can donate as little as $1.

AND if you are a Facebook Fan join the Clarkson Clan tonight (March 12, 2013) at 9:00 pm Eastern Time for a Facebook Party promoting and celebrating Nathan's movie. (As of the writing of this post he has raised $9,600 of his $10,000 goal.) Tonight there will be interviews and giveaways. Check out Sally's post for more details, What To Do With An Out Of The Box Child - Send Him To Hollywood.

Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/TheMobSociety  Don't miss it!

And now for the moms of boys out there ... hope comes in many forms. The web group hosting tonight's party is called The MOB Society - For Moms of Boys, by Moms of Boys. I checked out the site and was blown away by the community and the resources provided there. If you haven't heard of it - check it out. Especially if you have a boy!

As for my son ... I will continue to fall on my knees before the One who made him and ask for His will to be done in his life - no matter how much I may interfere. Maybe someday I will be watching my son and find myself praising God and saying, "now it all makes sense". (P.S. My son has a GRAND dream too!)

I have to go ... more MOB articles to read!


2 comments:

  1. I got to hear Sally Clarkson at the homeschool conference last year:). The kids & I are in the middle of one of their devotion books & I just LOVE it!! I totally understand what you mean about praying for our boys...I feel the same way about mine. Thank you for the resources!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is cool that you've heard her speak, Heidi. She seems like such a gem!

    ReplyDelete